Monday, November 15, 2010

A Handmade Christmas - From Your Computer!

Christmas Ideas with Digital Scrapbooking!
 
 For my regular readers, perhaps you have noticed that I have added a new page called "FREE Digital Scrapbooking Sites"  - all in preparation for today's post! I have always loved layout and design, and over the years I have overhauled our church newsletter and learned HTML to build a church website. I have designed our Christmas cards for years. However, as much as I enjoyed all this, I just never could bring myself to invest in scrapbooking materials. The whole concept seemed overwhelming - in the money required to buy all those supplies, the space for storing it all, and the time to actually put pages together.

Fortunately, all my scrapbooking dreams came true last year when I discovered digital scrapbooking. I can create at my leisure, and all I have to have is my computer and a good color printer for any projects that I decide to print. Plus, I have spent a total of less than $5.00 on digital supplies - and that only on a kit that contained baseball items as I couldn't find anything I just loved for free in the time I had before I needed to have my layouts completed to give as Christmas gifts.

I have been a faithful user of Printmaster Platinum for years. I have had at least 6 different versions and have upgraded several times with advances in operating systems and functionality of the program. However, I have found that the free Digital Scrapbook Artist Compact software from Daisy Trail to be much easier to use with more functionality for creating scrapbook pages. I hope to purchase the full version sometime - maybe with my Christmas money this year? ;)

For my sister, my two nieces, and my mom, I made and framed scrapbook pages from each of my nieces' weddings. I used the color schemes from the weddings, and I used pictures that I took while at the ceremonies and receptions. These were printed as 8x10's.
 


Also for my sister and my nieces, I made an "As for me and my house..." page personalized for each family. All three had moved into new houses in 2009, so I color-coordinated the pages with the decor in their new homes. These were printed as 5x7's.



For my mom and my mother-in-law, I made scrapbook pages featuring my children and their particular interests. Katie is a ballerina, and Cody is a baseball player. I included photos of the kids from years past as well as current. These were also printed as 8x10's.



Katie also had me make a page for her to give to her best friend, also as an 8x10.


There was a learning curve involved in navigating a new software program, but once I got the basics down, creating became just plain fun. The end products were well received, and I think truly appreciated, gifts that (I hope) will be cherished for years to come.

Now it's your turn! What can you create? If you are a digital scrapbooker, or if you decide to give this addictive hobby a try, please send me a link to your work! I'd love to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I am so happy to hear from you. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note here. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...