Sunday, October 3, 2010

Time Marches On...


 
Katie, Cody, and fellow homeschooler Haley at the Tennessee Aquarium
  More time has passed here at our little homestead, and time again brings changes. On July 13th we lost our beloved dog Sue to cancer. We miss her very much, and we still find ourselves looking for her now and then. There have been good changes too, though, as my baby Katie had her 16th birthday last Thursday. She now has her license and a car, which is going to be a great help for us.

My garden is still producing, and I am still getting bell peppers and banana peppers along with an occasional tomato. My green beans didn't do well at all - I planted a little late and we had an excruciatingly hot summer; however, I have reaped a couple of "messes" of beans, although not enough to put up. However, I have quite a stash of frozen bell peppers and jars and jars of banana peppers, and I was able to put up about 20 quarts of tomato sauce, which I am proud of considering how small the garden is. I still have carrots, garlic and onions in the garden, if they made it through the heat. 



We went to Homeschool Day at the Tennessee Aquarium last Monday and had an enjoyable excursion. I am hoping to be able to take more field trips this year. I am so excited that I get the opportunity to teach chemistry to my children this year, and so far they are enjoying the class as well. In the next couple of weeks we will also be tackling dissecting fish and crawfish. I think it will be fun!

I keep hoping that somehow I'll be able to settle down into a routine, be able to follow my own advice again and keep all our affairs in order. My mother, in her wisdom, reminds me, though, that there will be plenty of time for my affairs to be in order once the kids are grown - which will come all too soon. In the meantime, I get to enjoy birthday parties (Katie's Sweet 16 was Saturday - a football party watching Alabama vs. Florida), Cody's baseball games, football get-togethers at the Jolleys with the Davises, Mexican Dominoes with the Patillos, ..., in short, life. Life can't wait for the house to be clean or the laundry to be all put up. I just wish I could remember it...

The breezes have finally turned cooler, and in spite of the godlenrod, it just seems like it's easier to breathe. The change to autumn always makes me feel free and peaceful. It's my favorite time of year, and I am grateful for it.

There is joy on this journey, on my way home to my Father's house,
Cindy <><

1 comment:

  1. I'm soo sorry about the passing of your pet. I had to give mine away when I was younger, and it devastated me. Then I had several farm pets die growing up...it was hard.

    I'm glad you updated your blog. I was praying that things were going well for you.

    It's funny you went to the aquarium, because I was going to go, but my sister had surgery and I couldn't. Our homeschool group went and I wanted the kids to go badly...but we're going to go for sure as soon as we can. :)

    WOW! Your garden is incredible! :-D

    Hooray for fall is all I can say. The hot Alabama weather is gone for the next, what, few months at least? ;) I'm sooo happy to break out the jackets and sweaters. It is wonderful. I haven't turned on the a/c in about 2 weeks. I will love my power bill. :)

    Have a great rest of your week.
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I am so happy to hear from you. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note here. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...