Thursday, October 28, 2010

'NT' in a Nutshell: Part 1


Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet DictocratsChances are, if you are a working woman, you have never heard of Nourishing Traditions (NT). I was introduced to it through a Yahoo group in which I used to participate associated with the New Harvest Homestead Newsletter. The ladies there would discuss recipes and classes from time to time, but the concept sounded rather vague and complicated and like something that I just didn’t have time to deal with in my already-too-busy life.

However, while on vacation last year at the lake, I came across a copy of the book in a second-hand store, so I bought it and began to read. Co-written by a well-known nutritionist and a cook, the book is basically a cookbook with a wealth of information in its 78-page introduction on the detriments of the modern, Western diet, and is built upon research conducted in the 1930s by a dentist named Dr. Weston A. Price.

Dr. Price noticed in his practice that he was seeing tooth decay and bone malformations on a more-and-more regular basis that were previously rare. He began studying the diets of these patients where he noticed a trend towards diets that were high in refined flours and sugars and highly processed vegetable oils. He later traveled around the world studying isolated people groups who followed traditional diets and who had not been introduced to “modern” foods such as these refined flours and sugars and vegetable oils.

The health of these isolated populations was then compared to that of individuals from these same people groups who had adopted modern dietary habits, and the differences were striking, leading him to conclude that vital nutrients were being lost through the modern forms of processing foods. The loss of these nutrients consistently led to poorer health and maladies in the people who consumed the highly processed foods, and these problems tended to magnify in subsequent generations.

The information I learned in the book made me reevaluate how (and what) I was feeding my family, and I found that there are entire blogs and websites dedicated solely to pursuing the NT lifestyle. Personally, I don’t have the time to spend days sifting through all that information, and I figure you don’t either, so I’d like to present the basics of what is wrong with our modern diets, why it’s wrong, and what can be done to fix it. Along the way I’ll share with you what changes we have decided to make as well as the things I tried that didn’t work out so well. My hope is to present you with enough information so that you can make a decision about whether you’d like to pick up a copy of the book for yourself in order to consider making some changes within your own family.

As with any information, I urge you to sift everything through the Scriptures. I don’t want to present this information as if it’s a new set of dietary laws – I don’t want to lead you into slavery to food! Please realize that even among the principles we decided to implement in our household there are many that we ignore on a regular basis due to time or money constraints. It’s expensive to eat healthy, unprocessed foods! I try to serve the healthiest food I can on my budget and for the amount of time I have to prepare it…for the rest I pray over it and, as always, ask the Lord to bless it to our bodies and our bodies to His service, in gratitude for the fact that there is food on our table at all.

I anticipate that this series may be a little longer than my previous ones, and I hope you will join me for it, and if there’s info or suggestions that any of you ladies could contribute to the discussion, please comment! We'll continue "chewing the fat" [ahem and ;)] with a discussion about dietary fats on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard about NT for the first time yesterday and am very interested. Looking forward to your series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I am so happy to hear from you. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note here. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...