Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mmmm...Muscadine Jelly

11:45 AM, Tuesday, November 17, 2009

“For the LORD your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands, and your joy will be complete.” (Deuteronomy 16:15, NIV)

I wish you could experience the aromas in my kitchen this morning! I have my pumpkin spice candles burning, and I am making muscadine jelly. The juice smells wonderful as it’s cooking, and the color is so beautiful that I just had to take a picture. It’s a lovely shade of dark garnet with a hint of purple.

Today I made one batch of 8 half-pints and one pint; I will have about 20 more pints by the time I am finished. I will have to do a batch or two a day until I get it all processed. My jelly is really a cross between traditional jelly and jam. I cook the muscadines until all have “popped,” then I press the juice through a strainer. I don’t strain again through cheesecloth, so there’s pulp in the juice, but there’s not as much pulp as in regular jam. It makes for a very flavorful jelly with a rich, deep color. The juice I am using had been frozen after I prepared it until I finally found time to make the jelly.


This tastes fantastic on homemade whole wheat bread!

There is joy on this journey, on my way home to my Father's house,
Cindy <><

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) Muscadine jelly I have never heard of ever...lol...but I love things that make the house smell good. ((Yankee Candles are my favorites for that reason, lol.))

    I'm from the Alabaster area. We're actually staying there for 7 months while my hubby trains to go from Enlisted to Warrant Officer. Then we'll be moving to Ft. Drum, in upper New York. But, after living overseas, I'm sooo excited to come back to the good ol' USA. Plus, I have a new niece just born today and a nephew being born in about 2 months.

    Yes, we are big Bama fans--hard to be one over here, as the games come on at 2 a.m.! LOL. The only thing we're confused about is why the BIG game is on a Friday-!-the day after Thanksgiving, and at 2:30 p.m.? Say what? That's sooo weird. I've never heard of that game being like that ever. Oh well...here's hoping we can do 2 in a row Wins! :D

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I am so happy to hear from you. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note here. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...